Thursday, December 18, 2008

The cherished CARD

The cards are ready to mail, including the one that 01 doc and I have been mailing back and forth since nineteen-seventy something. We skipped the year our mother passed away and combined 2007/08. But other than that, it has gone faithfully back and forth each Christmas. We should have started that practice with everyone we know. Think of the trees we would have spared.

That card is so faded that the front has to be held to an angle against the light to actually read it. Our personal messages to one another, sent year after year, cover both sides of the folded card and then one has to unfold it completely and read more messages on the white (now yellowed) interior. Thank heaven it has so much room. 01 doc sent it to me the first time and we both liked it so much that I returned it to her that next year.
The message of that card is copied below:

THE FINAL WILD SONG
OF YOUR BIRTH-NIGHT
CAN NEVER BE WRITTEN;
THE LAST SHINING WORD OF YOUR COMING
CAN NOT BE SAID.
ROUGH, SLOW-MINDED SHEPHERDS WILL RUN,
ANGEL-DRIVEN, FOREVER,
BY NIGHT TO A CAVE
AND A CATTLE SHED.
AND YOU, BEYOND BONDAGE OF TIME
WITHOUT END OR BEGINNING
WILL WAKE IN THE ARMS OF A MAID
ON AN UNENDING NIGHT.
YOU, THE UNUTTERED WORD BECOME FLESH
AND FOREVER NOW SPOKEN
WILL BE HERE, BE OUR LIFE, OUR ACCESSIBLE LIGHT.

TONIGHT IS YOUR NIGHT,
YOUR INCREDIBLE SONG-SPANGLED STORY.
WE SHEPHERDS AND FLOCKS WAIT ON FIELDS
BEYOND BETHLEHEM PLAIN;

O ANGELS, O SHEPHERDS, O JOSEPH, O MARY,
O JESUS,
O GOD, TELL YOUR CHILDREN THE STORY AGAIN!

by Evaline Wolf

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OhMyGoodnessGraciousGreatBallsOfFire! YOU have it? You have it??? I have been looking high and low and couldn't find it anywhere. It's not in the bag on my kitchen hutch and that's where it should be if it's my turn. Which I obviously thought it was. (Blush!)

RANGER said...

That is sooo funny. In fact I laughed so hard (and long) that the cat wanted to know if I was okay. I keep the little treasure in the bottom of a drawer, under some papers that protect it from light. When I have it, that is.

I'm sayin' right now that next year is your time to send it. So I may remember.

BTW, I sent it in a priority mail envelope and included stuff for Sarah & Co. inside there, too. Please distribute as indicated on the faces of the folders. I haven't typed "distribute as indicated" since I retired. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Will distribute as indicated and may even get a stamp made up for future use. Heh, indeed. You don't know how relieved I'uns is to know where that card is and now I can finally get my own cards worked on. I was getting a sick tummy feeling ev' time I searched the hutch and behind without results. Whew. WHEW!

Anonymous said...

Update - The Card came on Saturday. S. has their envelopes from the package you included. I realized while doing my own cards that, if I'd look at the Christmas List book - I'd have seen where I sent it to you and it was yo' turn instead of Nacho-turn. :)

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. This poem was on one of the first Christmas cards we sent as a newly married couple in the 80's, and I have always loved it. I kept a copy of it for years and finally lost it in a fire. I googled a portion of it and found it tonight, on your blog. Thank you for returning a bit of our history to us - what a wonderful, unexpectd gift! Have a very Merry Christmas. Blessings, J