Saturday, September 22, 2007

Look, up in the sky ...

Local commuters got another heads-up on Friday when a small plane landed crashed into the space between the edge of I-95 and a railroad track with a raised roadbed. How the commuters on I-95 did not run into each other while gawking and evading is beyond me. They actually didn’t need to evade, but with the necessity of such split-second decision making, it is a marvel that someone didn’t kill someone else trying.

The news cameras showed the pilot, still strapped into his seat, confused and seemingly wondering where the rest of the plane’s nose had gone. He will be okay, I understand, but the trauma to the poor commuters can not be overestimated.

A few years ago on a busy street, here, that is named after a Bird, I saw a helicopter rise over the power lines next to traffic, and buzz the cars ahead of me. I suppose he was buzzing as the rotor kept turning the whole time. I never forgot it and he didn’t even crash.

If he had, I might still be evading ....

1 comment:

Zeta said...

Only in Miami can an airplane hit the top of a building and then land near I-95 with the pilot still attached to his seat. We have too many warehouses and hotels close to the landing strips. The pilot is a lucky man who's prayer was answered very quickly.