Thursday, July 31, 2008

Living memory . . .

When older family members pass away, their unrecorded memories of family events pass with them. My brother sent an email to us in which he asked that memories of early family life be written down and circulated within the family circle. Then he recorded some of the memories of our parents which he had acquired during his own childhood and teen years.

What a brilliant idea. I added to his email record in the same vein using a different (but readable) color for my additional text and passed it on.

I included a cousin with whom we grew up when I sent the email traveling on in its quest for family memory. A great deal of what we wrote was told to us by our mother. Some was personal experience. And, believe it or not, she told him some things that she didn't tell me. Or, more probably, he remembered them and I did not.

I can hardly wait to get the other replies which add to the story . . .

3 comments:

Zeta said...

I remember staying at Mommas’es house when Biged was born and riding in a brown car with Aunt Doc01. I believe this may have been a Duster. Sitting in the front seat was a big deal for me. The kitchen had a table with a television set which I liked to watch when lunch was ready. The utility room/laundry room had a bathroom; I just had to walk a few feet after lunch to wash my hands and then back the kitchen table. The garage had a ping-pong table and stayed cool most of the time. I recollect a small square opening with a palm tree design. The hallway had a square mirror at the end. I used to run down the hall as quietly as I could. Most of the time, I failed to be quiet when running. The wood floors would echo with my bare feet.

RANGER said...

01doc took Zeta shopping and fitted her out with her first pair of grown up, dressy boots, too. I don't know what else she bought but I remember how Zeta treasured those boots. It was sad when she grew out of them.

Shoe 'n Boot addiction: can we blame 01doc? Or does she get the credit for it?

Anonymous said...

Wow, y'all are spot on with Mama's house and my old car and shoe shopping and everything. Those memories came flooding back and I had a little "mini-vay" in the past.