Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fold up the tent . . .

Today's Origami class was a little different. We finished three projects when we usually do one or, at the most, two. We listened. Those inclined to take up time with jokes or questioning kept quiet.

There is one lady who is a bit of a a control freak. Even though she needs instruction and admits the fact, she still rebels when told to wait and not get ahead. But today, even she kept quiet for the most part.

We were all a bit subdued because we discovered that our county's head librarians are all being transferred to other locations. This is in an effort to even out the coverage, so to speak, and prevent job/budget cuts. We could not argue with the reasons behind this action.

Since our Origami instructor is also the head librarian at our branch, next Saturday will be our last class.

I dread to think that we might be folding a penguin as the farewell project . . .


8 comments:

Big Ed said...

And I liked her... She knew me and I didn't have to sign in or always produce my card. The exceptions are when I'm checking out a book or checking in. Otherwise, it was real convenient.

Zeta said...

Maybe one of her students could inquire about her new location, and follow her. Or maybe the entire class could just transfer to a new location. I drive a very long distance to school twice a week. Its worth the journey.

RANGER said...

We did ask her about continuing the class at her new location. She is being transferred to the Grove. She says they don't have Origami there as no one knows it. She has to request approval for a new program and approval takes about 3 months.

Benita, and I are willing to go there and others may as well. She has our name-n-number information and says she will let us know if a new class starts. She is also going to ask our incoming head lib. if she knows Origami and can continue the class.

There is going to be another attempt at a book club at our branch. (That was how she and I became such book-friends.) She was excited about a new format for it and says the new lib. will do that, anyway.

Zeta said...

The Coconut Grove Branch Library celebrated 100 years of service in 1995. The Library overlooks Biscayne Bay which is where I used to take yoga classes. I think, the parking is free at the library. There is a Starbucks close by, a bonus.

RANGER said...

Zeta, would you like to go also? I'll take my car, pick you up and drop you off. You can navigate.

ol-Doc said...

I wanna go. I do! I do!! Starbucks and Origami in the Grove. There's a vision that only needs Splenda to be perfect.

Zeta said...

I'll bring the Splenda. I would like to go, but what day of the week is the class going to be held?

RANGER said...

Well, the current class is at ten a.m. on Saturdays. So was the last one. It would be so much fun to go together: Zeta, o1 Doc, me, and the Splenda. The first round at S-Bucks is on me. We should see if we can get Suse and Sarah to come, too. I think Tammie will be too busy, heh.