Thursday, November 12, 2009

Useful life . . .

I have been thinking back to those days when I used to occasionally install new computer equipment and troubleshoot software before I retired. I was a first responder, so to speak, who did triage and dealt with things like dire lockups and blue screens. I was the one who called in the experts when things were beyond dire.

Those days are long gone. Now we can have new drivers for the asking. Just visit the manufacturer's web site . . . unless. Unless a new operating system comes along and compatible drivers no longer exist for older peripherals. Sad. Really sad to see perfectly useful things like our deskjet have to be surplussed because it doesn't have USB capability.

I am beginning to identify with it. I don't have USB capability, either . . .

6 comments:

ol-Doc said...

Where would it go? I mean if humans had a USB Port - in the ear? Up the nose? And every morning when we woke up, would the brain have to announce that it had found new equipment?

RANGER said...

Pretty little star shaped, silver dot on the ear lobe, I'm thinking. Wireless, bluetooth - your own personal hotspot. Direct satellite link with teleportation module optional.

Yoo Hoo! I'm calling from just outside your back patio door.

Big Ed said...

Think, in the future, there will be some kind of self surveillance that each one of us can check up on besides the blood sugar testing and so forth. It will be kind of easier to test your blood pressure and so on. Computers of the future will do with out USB ports and the like. A whole new technology will be around. Making us go through this again in fifteen or so years. I doubt like the matrix movies we will be able to log on our bodies to the net. You never know though.

Zeta said...

Wonder if the USB would help me wake up in the morning. Just because I get up, drink coffee, and drive to work doesn't mean I'm awake. Just ask my co-workers.

RANGER said...

Do you think we should dunk our USB flash drives in a cup of Starbucks? Might make 'em work faster

ol Doc said...

I'druther have a straw, please?