Thursday, June 3, 2010

Earth to . . .

For some reason, I found the music from the Lincoln MKS commercial which begins with a female voice singing "Ground control to Major Tom," stuck in my head. So much so that I looked up the original lyrics and then proceeded to listen to "Space Oddity" on YouTube.

Knowing how the song ends, with Major Tom floating away into nowhere, makes it an odd choice for a commercial which is trying to persuade the public to buy the subject vehicle.

After all, it didn't end well for Major Tom . . .

3 comments:

Big Ed said...

The song worked for David Bowie. They still play the old version on the radio. The commercial plays a soft version of the song while David's version was a little more grittier.

Zeta said...

BRIDGE

Though I'm passed one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go,
tell my wife I love her very much she knows

This is the sentence when I realized, he's not going to arrive back home. I remember listening to David's version on my little radio.

ol Doc said...

Never been there. Never heard that. I do recall Open the pod bay doors, HAL. Does that make me (shudder) elderly? Nah. Maybe just not into David Bowie so much.