Friday, January 4, 2008

Convenience is the mother of necessity ...

We were back to 59.8° at 7 this morning. No more whining. We haven't run the AC since the cold snap hit. I mentioned to J that people in California often don't have AC because they need it so little. The only reason I believe that to be true is the griping Californians we heard on the 'net during an unreasonably hot period, this past summer.

J and I grew up in Florida and did not acquire AC until after we were married. We surely did have large room fans, though.

Amazing the dependency that develops on a convenience. Turns it into a downright necessity ...

3 comments:

Big Ed said...

I can't live with out AC. I have a friend that used to turn off the AC during the summer. He used to live in Trinidad where in the house he grew up in he had no AC. He is dark skined so I guess he could take it better than I can. If I don't have AC, I would melt.

Zeta said...

There is not turning back once you allow yourself to live in AC.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, I used to fall asleep to the rattle of a window fan - in our unairconditioned house on 7th Court. The coolest thing in the bedrooms were the sheets on the bed that hadn't felt a human touch yet. It took all of 7 seconds for the bedding to become unbearably hot and you'd find yourself shifting to a cooler spot. Would y'all like some cheese with that whine?