Sunday, January 27, 2008

Doggone it ...

Currently, it is 76° on the outside digital readout.

I just finished 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Didn't even know the time was going by because I surfed to "Steel Magnolias" and watched it while I rode to nowhere. I have seen the movie maybe twice, start to finish. But, I watch bits and pieces of it every once in a while. I populate the characters with real people from my childhood.

Shelby's mother creates echoes, in my mind, of my own mother. Shelby presents a composite of some of my cousins. Her father is a mix of several favorite uncles.

My parents had a family friend very similar to Miz Weezer. This friend had an untrained and spoiled doberman. The friend's husband developed a black eye and some elbow contusions which he said he received when he fell off the roof. Later, he admitted the dog jumped up, hit him in the face with its head, and knocked him down. Not the dog's fault, of course, it caught him by surprise.

Possibly this is why all of our dogs have received obedience training. Or perhaps, it is because I watched an uncle training his own dogs ...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know who you're talking about. And the dogs weren't their pets, they were their babies - eat from the table, sleep on the bed. Recalling one of their younger nephews from Alabama who went to visit and told us he slept with his head hanging off the edge of the matress because the bedding smelled of large wet dirty dog. Phew!

Zeta said...

Wow, dog beds work very they well for sleeping; plus you can have their name stitched on the side of their cover. There are different sizes to choose from with different kinds of padding. Washable too. Good for noses human or canine.

Anonymous said...

All these doggies lived a very, very, very long time ago, in the days before dog bedding and name stitching on dog bedding and anything to do with a size on a dog item that might fit the dog itself. And padding? Hah! This is probably why the Dobies made so free with the human bedding. They'd seen the information online and knew it would be years before people treated their furry friends like one of the family. Except for the couple we're talking about - she always lavished love on the big dogs - and he always let her.