Monday, May 4, 2009

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?


01 Doc asked if there would be any pictures of what I have been doing in Origami class. I will try to put some here although I am still not used to Windows Vista. Above are some boxes that I am not too ashamed to acknowledge. The top row of boxes are the examples of reverse sides of the boxes on the bottom row. The triangular ones require three sheets of paper and the square one requires four pieces. They are docking boxes meaning that the parts have to be interlocked together. That is the most difficult part, for me. Technically, I understand that these are not pure origami. I don't mind as long as they are fun to do.

The first time I attempted a triangular box at home, the paper became so weakened from being refolded and manipulated that I finally crumpled it up and started over again. You know how practice can get some people to Carnegie Hall?

It can also get you some docking boxes . . .



5 comments:

Zeta said...

Wow, the boxes are adorable. What a wonderful idea. The colors are very nice and can be used to wrap small gifts.

RANGER said...

The square box on the top left is shown on the reverse side and is the first one I made at home without supervision. Its paper is rippled on the inside where I stretched it trying to get it to fit together. The one below is a second attempt and is better.

The more one does, the more techniques suggest themselves for creating the interlock. The triangular ones sit flat without ripples because I made at least one a day (and sometimes more than one) for a week.

ol Doc said...

They are most impressive and I can see what you mean about the docking interlocking. You can tell the triangles are 3 sheets and the square ones are 4 but I cannot follow anything around the box to try and figure out how it's done. I get dizzy when I try!

The closest I ever came was when I learned to fold a 1/2-fold sheet of newspaper in thirds and tuck the flaps behind each other and then fold the long flap down in the back and pin it to bedding and expand the opening to tuck used tissues and sickroom trash into - I learned it in a home nursing class - I guess the technique was from the war years when you didn't waste paper and maybe didn't use grocery bags for such gross things.

That's my Oh-rig-ah-me.

RANGER said...

Hows come I was never taught that newspaper thing? My education is incomplete or else I have inadvertently erased it from memory.

Did you expand it by blowing it up? No wait, that's the crane and frog, so far . . .

ol Doc said...

You blow up the frog? Eeeuwh! I recall seeing cousin Larry and his next door neighbor tossing a flat square of cardboard back and forth in the yard and wondering why - until I spotted the little froggie taped to the corner of the square. They were spinning that cardboard so fast that froggie finally, well let's just say it wasn't pretty. Now there's a childhood memory. I'd rather look at the pretty boxes.