Friday, May 29, 2009

Mod tech . . .

Zeta taught me something, yesterday:

Did you know that you can look up doppler radar for your area, on line, at a weather site? If you have an internet enabled cell phone or laptop with you, and you are caught in a sudden summer storm, the radar display lets you know how large the bad area of the storm is and you can see whether it is moving away. Or whether you are in for more
windblown drenching.

Our local television channel 4 has doppler radar available. I discovered that if you look at the time stamp for the beginning of the radar loop and at the time stamp at the end of the loop, you can almost guestimate how long it will take for that little hole in the clouds to open up over you so you can run to your car. Our radar display is about five minutes behind real time which isn't too bad.

'Course you could always stand out in the rain looking up. But, I don't recommend it. . . .

3 comments:

ol Doc said...

I have an Application on my phone that lets me see the radar, satellite and warnings. I can track lightening strikes and see tropical stuff. I love it! I just have to be careful not to load it while I'm driving in a heavy downpour 'cause I'd be tempted to watch the radar rather than the road!!

RANGER said...

X-actly! This morning, I checked the radar before leaving the house. I really don't know why it never occurred to me before.

Don't you just love it when something comes to your attention that makes life easier?

Big Ed said...

It is gonna rain all day today Sunday the 31st. The rain clouds have zeroed in on us and aren't gonna let up.