Tuesday, September 22, 2009

One of my best buds . . .

Our library system escaped county budget cuts again. Programs for senior citizens and children also escaped. It is a little sad to list the library's escape first, but that is the line item in the budget that would impact my life most immediately.

I depend on the library system. Reading is not an interest nor an avocation, in my case. It is a vice, carried to extremes. I could not buy all of the books I read in a year. Nor would I want to. Some of them are not keepers. Others are and those I may buy for they become old friends to be revisited time after time.

I have gift certificates to book stores which I spend as carefully as if they were gold nuggets being traded in for gold ingots. Since the advent of the 'net, the library and I are closer than ever.

I expect to find it on Facebook, any day now . . .

2 comments:

ol Doc said...

Our library is about 20 miles away in town. They're on line but not in a two way fashion. You can't put things on hold. I would if I could. That's one thing I miss about the big city versus the small town.

RANGER said...

I would miss it too. But then, I would also miss the stacks of books you hand over when we meet. I surely do short-change you during that transaction. I am so sorry. Blame the library?