Thursday, August 23, 2007

Some days ...

My cell phone was crying so I put it on the charger. Incommunicado is not good. I should have known this.

There had been errands to do early this morning and when I got back home, we found an ad for a really neat folding ladder that is rated for 300 pounds. The ladder was deeply discounted. It also would not fit readily in either of the cars, we thought.

Now, there is a problem with the van. The air conditioning
and the two front windows had quit working simultaneously. It is a 1990 Dodge conversion that needs a harness plug for the ignition switch and also a new switch. The switch is available but the harness plug (cable) is a part that I am still trying to find on the internet. We may have to get a complete wiring harness just to lay hands on that pesky ignition cable. You can imagine that the van sits, mostly, waiting for succor.

That being the case, I asked E if he thought we could go in the van to buy the ladder because the day was overcast and gloomy - not too hot, for a semi-tropical summer day.

"Sure", he said. We could open the triangular vent windows and the side and back windows, hoping for some exchange of air as we drove.

This should not be too bad an experience because the vendor is close by. We drove over, purchased the ladder, and I waited with the wheeled pallet while E went to bring the van up so we could load the ladder inside.

I waited for longer than it should have taken him to drive over to me. I regretted my phone left charging. I could have changed to the spare battery.

I saw E walking back, talking on his phone, and assumed he might have locked the keys in the van. Nope, the battery to the alarm's remote control had quit working. E had telephoned J to bring a spare remote.
While we waited, it started to sprinkle; then it really began to rain.

We waited. It rained even harder. When J arrived with the spare remote, I wetly traded places with him in the car and he and E put the ladder in the van.

I have to admit that, while we were standing at the car window, talking to J about how we should work out the logistics, the car behind him began to honk.
Before I got in the car, I faced the honking driver and gave an exaggerated hands-out shrug and a huge fake grin.

The honking stopped. That, at least, had worked.

6 comments:

Zeta said...

M. tells folks "Your horn works, try your lights." when people peep at him in a silly situation. The anxious driver never heard of common courtesy? Or, you could have told the honking driver “My van will not start and you will have to find another way into the parking lot until the tow truck driver arrives in twenty minutes.” After he leaves, start your van and drive away.

Anonymous said...

I like Zeta's option 2. That's funny!

Actually, just a comment like "I've called a tow truck" would be enough and wouldn't be a total lie because at some point in my life I have called a tow truck. Maybe just not today! It's the driving away part that is so satisfying!

Big Ed said...

That was a miserable day. It was very frustrating to push the key into the grill and not have the alarm work. (Grrr) That generally does the trick. When I first tried the remote key to get into the van I was about fifteen feet away. The rain raining harder when J got there made it worse. When I got home I took a shower and cooled off. I mean really cooled off. I was mad. If lightning struck me it would be the cherry on the top of the icing of the cake.

Anonymous said...

Um, no Big E - lightening is no fun when you're on the outside of the van.

I once stuck a key in the door of our old green van, while standing in a rain flooded parking lot - and felt the tingle as lightening flashed around me. That will get a door open and a driver inside faster than you can imagine ~ can you say Crispy Critter?

RANGER said...

I think E meant that he inserted the alarm remote into the front grill to see if he could get it close to the alarm sensor so that the weak signal would be picked up.

I would not have thought of that and will try to remember in the future.

E came out after his cool-down shower and said, "Well that was an adventure, wasn't it!"

Big Ed said...

Yes, in front of the grill, under the car, and on top of the hood near the drivers side of the hood are the best places to put the remote when the battery is weak. I did this with my car while I was a salesman until the alarm would not work. Fortunately, after a few minutes of pushing the button, the alarm worked and I went looking for a Radio Shack. I was gratefull that someone was near the home computer while I was on the phone asking for directions. Wouldn't have found one if it wasn't for Ranger.