Saturday, August 4, 2007

Sometimes trash is just trash ...

We recycle. I was reluctant at first because we had to shoe-horn extra space for the bins. Now we're in the recycle groove.

Well, okay, I admit to throwing the occasional plastic bottle in the trash, by mistake, not thinking, by old habit.

In the spirit of keeping still-good items from being heaved into a landfill, I joined our local Freecycle
TM group. There is no barter, no strings are attached and absolutely no money can change hands. Trash or treasure is a personal decision.

I have successfully freecycled a glass coffee carafe from a defunct Mr. Coffee. A nurse who had broken the one used at her workplace was delighted to meet me and take it. So when our microwave died of old age, I saved the carousel tray to offer on FreecycleTM
. It is still out there, falling ever lower on the list, unwanted.

I should have realized that people break more coffee carafes than carousel trays.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I track the Freecycle lists for L-City, Gainesville and Mobile. Sometimes the Gainesville folks will post a Trash Pile Alert because there can be some really nice stuff tossed out when students vacate their apartments at the end of their school career. After we hold our barn sale, I may post stuff like paperbacks on the LC and G'ville sites.