Tuesday, April 22, 2008

WSJ needs a stork ...

We subscribe to two newspapers, one is the local Herald and the other is the Wall Street Journal. When they both get delivered, the folded, bagged papers are usually somewhere near the mailbox, by the sidewalk. Herald delivery has been as regular as clockwork. WSJ broke their clock, regularly.

I began to telephone the WSJ's 800-number each time we missed our copy. The subscription personnel and I developed a troubled relationship. They were sorry for the inconvenience. They offered to deliver the paper right up onto the front porch. Several times, they offered. We accepted the offer each time they made it and then pointed out that the delivery label has "del to porch" printed right on it.

Last Friday, I called to terminate the subscription. The young woman with whom I spoke said that the delivery service had been replaced by a new one and the WSJ should appear every day but Sunday. I agreed to try once more.

The next morning, when I looked outside, there it was: one newspaper was on the front porch, all by itself.

It was the Herald ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the WSJ since I was in college and it was required in my Economics course. Hmmmmm... I'll have to blog about something related to that. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

The missing of delivery is one major reason we dropped the Gainesville Sun. They still call offering us Fri-Sat-Sun delivery and we gently explain that we're rural and used to have the paper but it never quite made it to the box on a regular basis. Now we buy it at the local convenience store and things are way better!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I linked to you in my post today!

RANGER said...

Today, the Herald and the WSJ were nestled together on the doormat. Maybe the WSJ switched to the Herald's delivery service. Yay, the customer wins. So far.