Monday, June 4, 2007

One neeever know, do one ...

The dash thermometer in the car read 91 degrees at noon. When I got home, in mid afternoon, the infra-red thermometer on the shaded porch lied to me: 98 degrees. I think the battery needs replacing in the readout from the porch.

This was a wonderful time to have had an A/C stop producing anything cool. Night before last, the one in E's bedroom had done just that. Next day, we called the place where we bought E's A/C. They did not have a unit similar to his available.

E slept in the (cool) spare room last night, which has a daybed that is waaay too short for him. He slept on the floor on the wall-to-wall carpet, an area rug, two folded sleeping bags and a folded blanket. He said he was comfortable. The cat was upset. She doesn't like change.

I called Scott Appliances . . .
this morning. This afternoon, a truck drove up with a replacement, reverse-cycle A/C and it was installed in the wall, in about an hour. Well, maybe two hours. Scott's was less expensive than the quote from the other vendor, which had been for straight cool only, no reverse-cycle.
Plus, Scott's took away the body of the dead A/C.

E doesn't know it has been done.

Yet.


5 comments:

Zeta said...

The temperature in the PT Cruiser read 89 degrees over the weekend. Either I need to change my battery as well, or we have adjusted to the warmer weather. I also thought at that moment, the battery needed to be replaced. Did Big Ed have a cool rest of sleep last night? Surprise, its cooler now. Scott Appliances is a good family business, and they have also helped me with some of my kitchen appliances.

ol Doc said...

What a nice surprise for Big E. Now, when he does that shuffle-dance of happiness, he won't wind up a miserable puddle on the floor.

Zeta said...

Dear Aunt Doc 01. We posted at the same time.

Big Ed said...

It was a wonderfull surprise. The cat slept light as usual and was back to going through the usual motions in the morning. I put the a/c on power saver and the bedroom was cold all night. I was surprised and shocked at what had been done in my absence. If it was left up to me I would be sleeping with the cat in the spare room.

ol Doc said...

Dear Zeta: I knew that when it happened.... your post popped up and then disappeared and then the comment box came back. How weird was that!

Dear Big E: I'm glad for you and Mew - cool is 90 percent of living in SoFLA! The other 10 percent is knowing the light bill is paid in full.