Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hey, presto ...

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” is being released when, boys and girls? Anyone not know? Okay, this weekend. Okay? I will be doing business at Borders, this weekend.

Two copies are also reserved at the public library, in case of glitches. My HP buddy and I are numbers seven and eight on the reserve list.

This is a marvelous time to misplace my library card ... which I did. I have the number memorized due to the sheer repetition of using it to log in to the web site where I am just a number. A cipher.

Today, the web site told me that I have a couple of reserves waiting. I had planned to go in, recite my card number, show ID if necessary, and check them out. “Forgot” to bring the card with me I guess.

I have actually forgotten it before and don’t even have to show ID unless someone at the desk is new to the job.

See, I am only a cipher on line. In person, I am most likely, “Hey, how ya doin'? What’s your card number?”

Tappety, tappety, tap, tappety and I get my books. I planned to wait until after Saturday and then confess and replace my card. I have one of the old white ones. Everyone else that I encounter pulls out a multi-colored beauty with much higher numbers than mine. Getting a replacement card means acquiring a new, higher account number. Oh the shame!

When pulling out my bookbag, which I only use when I plan to really stock up, I discovered the little dickens hiding in the bottom.

It was like, like, magic ....

5 comments:

Big Ed said...

I goofed, I accidently used Rangers ID. That last post was mine. I am the HP buddy and so forth. I didn't realize who I was when I pushed "Publish you comment." Silly me.

Zeta said...

I wondered why Ranger was posting first, but I read on anyway. Big ED, silly you. The Miami Dade Kendall library called Tuesday, and told me my books were ready. "What books?" Ops, wrong phone number according to the employee of the library. The only books I have been ordering lately are from Follet.com.

Anonymous said...

OKAY, we will have no accidental ranger impersonators. The following is really by Big Ed:

I'm happy with my multicolored card. The excitement is in the air especially this Friday when the book comes out. I shall devote as much time as I can to it. Someone has already posted the last two pages of the Deathly Hallows on the net. I refuse to find and read them. I shall find out for myself, being the HP buddy.

Anonymous said...

I've never read one HP book, but have a few of the movies on video. I'll wait until they put out the paperback set.

It's like absolute mayhem with people crying when someone spoils the ending. Don't want to know? Stay in your room - in your house - until you finish the book.

RANGER said...

We saw the newest HP this afternoon. I will say nothing except go if you get the chance. Don't want to spoil it, although those who have read the book know, already.

The first HP book left me with the same feeling I had as a youngster when I finished The Wizard of Oz. There was a feeling of glee that there would be more coming.

Patrick O'Brian's series (starting with Master and Commander), was another one.

At Home in Mitford, by Jan Karon, again left me with the happy anticipation that there would be more.